Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Top 5 Best Bands for Writing

In an attempt to finish the novel I started during NaNoWriMo, tomorrow I will embark on what I am referring to as “Operation:  Finish Line."  I did hit the 50k word goal, but I still haven’t finished my project in its entirety, so I’m giving myself 30 days to do so.  I’m pretty sure I’ll be in a caffeine- induced haze for the next month, and I’m okay with it. 

While it will be pretty excellent to have a completed first draft, it will, unfortunately, not leave any time for reading, as all of the characters and storylines will get too muddled up in my head; therefore, I probably won’t be posting any book reviews until I’m finished.  I still, however, plan on posting Top 5 lists a few times this month.

With my impending challenge in mind, I thought it would be fun to put together a list of my favorite bands to listen to while I’m writing.  They aren't in any real order at all, as I enjoy them equally for various reasons.  Here we go…


Nightwish
Nightwish's vocals have an incredible operatic quality to them, and with a combination of powerful music and beautiful lyrics, this band really get my creative juices flowing.  Whenever I listen to Nightwish, I always feel as though I'm writing an epic masterpiece.

Stand-out songs for writing:  Ghost Love Score, Amaranth, Ocean Soul

Apocalyptica
While I don’t tend to listen to this band very much when I’m not writing, they really help me focus when I am working on something.  Aside from one song (I Don't Care), the songs I’ve heard by them have few lyrics, and they lend themselves really wonderfully to writing.

Stand-out songs for writingWorlds Collide, Burn, S.O.S. (Anything but Love)

Lacuna Coil
Lacuna Coil has been one of my favorite bands for quite some time, and I absolutely love them.  Much like the preceding bands, their rock/metal qualities, along with their lyrics, work really well for writing.

Stand-out songs for writing:  The Ghost Woman and the Hunter, Comalies, Distant Sun

Rilo Kiley 
Rilo Kiley is another one of my personal favorites.  Their music tends to be quite mellow and, for me, the lyrics lend incredibly well to character development.

Stand out songs for writingSilver Lining, Does He Love You?, Wires and Waves, A Better Son/Daughter

Ingrid Michaelson
I've only gotten into Ingrid Michaelson's music during the past year or so, but I really love it.  Her lyrics are wonderful, and the softness of her music makes writing really fun and easy.
    
Stand out songs for writing:  Corner of Your Heart, Keep Breathing, Maybe, The Way I Am


If you enjoy writing, what kind of music do you listen to?  Do you find music too distracting, or does it help your creative process?  Do you have any suggestions for bands I should listen to while writing?

6 comments:

  1. Oh, who turned you on to Ingrid!? cough* cough*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone cool, I'm sure ;) haha.

    ReplyDelete