Sunday, May 29, 2011

"As she left my room I knew I should shut up. But you know when you should shut up because you really should just shut up...but you keep on and on anyway? Well, I had that." - Georgia


Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging – Louise Rennison

247 pages

Genre:  YA; realistic fiction

Summary:  Presented to the reader in diary format, Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging chronicles the life of Georgia, a fourteen-year-old girl who lives in England.

Review:  Borrowing a quote from Georgia herself, Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging was pretty “fabbity fab fabulous.”

I really enjoy reading books in epistolary format, and I think it worked exceptionally well here.  Georgia seemed like an average teenage girl, and it was easy to believe that she would record all of her thoughts in her diary. This format made it quite easy to get to know her, as it allowed her to divulge information that the reader would not have found out otherwise, effectively making the book much more personal.

For me, the thing that really propelled this book forward was the humor.  Georgia was incredibly witty and sarcastic, and I flipped through the pages eagerly to see what she would say next.  I’m kind of glad I didn’t read this in public, as there were many instances in which I was laughing like a crazy person.  Many of the situations she found herself in were also laced with humor; even though these situations sometimes seemed like the end of the world, it worked well because they really could happen to anyone.  To that end, Georgia was really easy to relate to, and I could see teenage girls in particular  enjoying her adventures. 

For those who are unfamiliar with English slang, Rennison also put a helpful glossary in the back of the book where she described a word and related it back to the story.

Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging is an incredibly fun, humorous read, and if you’re looking for something light, I would definitely recommend it.

Rating:  3.5/5

Other Books in This Series:  On the Bright Side, I’m Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God, Knocked Out by my Nunga-Nungas, Dancing in my Nuddy-Pants, Away Laughing at a Fast Camel, …Then He Ate My Boy Entrancers, Startled by His Furry Shorts, Love is a Many Trousered Thing, Stop in the Name of Pants!, Are These My Basoomas I See Before Me?

8 comments:

  1. I read all of these books in high school. I LOVED Them. sooo hilarious! like you said, I often found myself laughing out loud. :) I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was pretty great! I wish I had known about this series in high school because it's just so light and fun, which was exactly what I needed to counter my busy schedule back then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started these in middle school, I think! You really should keep reading. They only get more ridiculous and funny. I had a weird moment reading one on the train, in which I started laughing so loud, I made the baby boy sitting behind me start crying. I think I startled him. That or I have a scary laugh. We need to tell Abby to read these too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahaha, that is the best thing ever! I literally just started laughing at my desk. I think Abby may have read these, but I could be wrong. We should definitely tell her! This was one of my book sale finds :)

    ReplyDelete