Tuesday, May 24, 2011

"Every day we're told that we live in the greatest country on earth. And it's always stated as an undeniable fact: Leos are born between July 23 and August 22, fitted queen-size sheets measure sixty by eighty inches, and America is the greatest country on earth. Having grown up with this in our ears, it's startling to realize that other countries have nationalistic slogans of their own, none of which are 'We're number two!"

Me Talk Pretty One Day - David Sedaris

272 pages

Genre:  Memoir; Humor

Summary:  Told in a series of short stories, Me Talk Pretty One Day is a humorous re-telling of various events from the author’s life.

ReviewMe Talk Pretty One Day was my first encounter with David Sedaris’ work, and it definitely won’t be the last.

Every story was incredibly funny, and Sedaris’ witty, sarcastic writing style made the reader feel as if she was sitting right there, experiencing everything with him.  I especially loved reading about his time spent in France, and I cringed along with him as his French teacher grew angrier and angrier because he couldn’t speak the language properly.  The chapter devoted to his family’s dogs was also quite hilarious, and I found myself laughing out loud in many instances.  I also really liked the chapter in which Sedaris tried to learn to play guitar.  When I was younger, I, too, tried to play guitar, was just as unsuccessful as he was, and it was great to see how much we could relate in that regard. 

His family members, along with his boyfriend, were very memorable, and I especially liked his sister, Amy.  She was such an oddball, a born actress, and the stories she was in were exceedingly colorful.  Paul was also a standout character for me, and the way in which he talked was absolutely cracking me up, as I could truly visualize him in my mind.

If you’re looking for a light, comical read that will make you laugh out loud frequently, definitely give Me Talk Pretty One Day a try.

Rating: 4/5

Read-alike authorAugusten Burroughs

Other Books by David SedarisNaked, Holiday on Ice, Dress Your Family in Cordouroy and Denim, When You Are Engulfed in Flames

3 comments: