Friday, September 2, 2011

"He looked as though I'd just run over his pet puppy (though no actual puppies were harmed in the formation of that metaphor)." - Cammie Morgan


I’d Tell You I Love You, But Then I’d Have to Kill You – Ally Carter

284 pages

Genre:  YA; Action; Humor; Romance

Summary:  The Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women isn’t your average school.  The name alone may bring to mind images of extremely smart girls buried in a mound of books in the library…and that’s exactly what they want you to think.  While the girls that attend the Academy are brilliant, they’re actually learning skills that one cannot learn in an ordinary school:  how to become spies.  Cammie, the daughter of the headmistress of the school and a future spy herself, is a particularly exceptional student who is well on her way to achieving her family’s legacy.  When things begin to happen in her life, however, will she continue to pursue the life that she is destined to live, or will it completely throw her off?

Review: What first drew me to I’d Tell You I Love You, But Then I’d Have to Kill You was definitely the title.  When I saw the title, it made me laugh and I knew it was something that would probably be a fun read, so I ended up buying it.  Fortunately, it was quite an entertaining, quick, absorbing book, and I’m really looking forward to reading more in this series.

For me, one of the best parts of this book was the fact that it took place in an all-girls spy school.  These girls weren’t damsels in distress; quite the contrary, actually.  Not only could they take a grown man down with the self-defense moves that they were taught, but they were also extremely bright, observant, and mentally strong.  I really loved all of the technology that was used throughout, and the secret passages were great!  For most of the book, I couldn’t help but wish that I went to that school.

The characters were really well done, especially Cammie and Macey.  While Cammie was incredibly smart, she was absolutely clueless when it came to boys, had a lot of flaws, and all in all, was a really believable, teenage character.  She did wear her heart on her sleeve a little bit too much and it didn’t quite fit with her spy persona, but nonetheless, I did grow attached to her.  Macey was probably my favorite character in the book, and I loved that there was more to her than what the persona she cultivated was giving off.

As a whole, I’d Tell You I Love You, But Then I’d Have to Kill You was a fun read with strong female characters.  If you enjoy books packed with action, humor, and non-cookie cutter girls, definitely give it a try. 

Rating:  3.5/5

Other Books in the Gallagher Girl series:  Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy (Book 2), Don’t Judge a Girl by Her Cover (Book 3), Only the Good Spy Young (Book 4), Out of Sight, Out of Time (Book 5; will be released in 2012).

6 comments:

  1. You're back!

    I loved this author's other series: Heist Society. I think it's her newer series, and there's only 2 so far, but I think they are a lot better! I think Carter improves her writing style as she goes along. I think Abby liked that series too. And the main character is slightly less juvenile to me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am! I finally pulled myself away from fanfic :) haha.

    I totally just got Heist Society at the Borders going out of business sale, and yes, Abby likes it. I almost read it the day I got it, but since I had just read this book, I felt it best to wait a bit.

    ReplyDelete