Saturday, February 11, 2012

“I keep my eyes on the sea, waiting to be rocketed into it on a wave of fire. I'll be ready for it to happen, and that way, it won't happen. It's a burden, being able to control situations with my hypervigilance, but it's my lot in life.”


Bossypants – Tina Fey

277 pages

Genre:  Humor; Non-Fiction; Memoir

SummaryFrom musings on her childhood, to being the boss, to improv, Bossypants provides the reader with a firsthand glimpse into Tina Fey’s life.

Review:  I went into Bossypants with extremely high expectations, as Tina Fey is one of my absolute favorite television personalities.  Yeah, no pressure.  Fortunately for me, Bossypants lived up to my expectations, and I was heartily amused from start to finish.

One of the best things about this book was obviously the humor.  Tina Fey is such a witty, clever woman, and the way she expounded upon random topics relating to her life was incredibly hilarious.  Throughout most of the book, I was absolutely laughing out loud, almost to the point of tears, and I’m just glad I read this in private, as I’m sure people would have thought I was crazy.  Perhaps I found it so entertaining because I could relate to so many of the things she was talking about, especially as it related to excessive worry and overextending oneself.  Is this a good thing?  I’m not sure, but I do take comfort in the fact that we operate on the same wavelength of crazy.

I also really liked her thoughts on being a boss, especially in an industry that’s dominated by males.  Her advice was sound, her observations poignant, and it is definitely one of the biggest things I took away from the book.  I also liked what she had to say regarding females in comedy, and I found her explanations relating to her rise in the industry to be extremely interesting.

Ultimately, if you like to laugh and you love Tina Fey (and, really, who doesn’t?), definitely read Bossypants!

Rating:  4/5

5 comments: