Friday, February 3, 2012

“You can never know about your own destiny: are the people you meet there to play a part in your own destiny, or do you exist just to play a role in theirs?”


Going Bovine – Libba Bray

480 pages

Genre:  YA; Fantasy; Humor

Printz Award Winner, 2010

Summary:  Cameron, a 16 year old boy trying his best to survive the trials and tribulations of high school, receives a shocking piece of news on an otherwise ordinary day:  he has Mad Cow Disease, and he’s going to die.  Dismayed by the diagnosis, Cameron befriends what he believes to be an angel named Dulcie who tells him that a cure is available, but he must go on an epic quest in order to obtain it.  Will Cameron accept the challenge and go on his own personal odyssey before it’s too late, or will the disease bring on his inevitable demise?

Review:  Libba Bray’s body of work has been highly recommended to me by my bookish friends many, many times.  After stalking, I mean, investigating her twitter feed and seeing concrete proof regarding her sense of humor, I decided to give Going Bovine a try.  I mean, the cover of the book is a cow holding a garden gnome; what could be better? Ultimately, I found it quite enjoyable, hilarious, and while it was a solid 500 pages long, I read through it in about two days.

The plot was definitely unique, and half of the time I felt like I was reading the crazy ramblings of someone on an acid trip, which made sense in the context of the story.  As Cameron’s mental prowess declined, so too did his grasp on reality…or did it?  The situations he found himself in were often hilarious, and I absolutely loved following him around on his zany adventures.

While I wasn’t particularly attached to Cameron, I absolutely loved Dulcie.  Dulcie was incredibly colorful and energetic, and the scenes that she was in were quite enjoyable for me.  The gnome was also pretty great, and I loved when he would speak of his adventures to the rest of the characters.

Going Bovine was definitely a wild ride!  If you’re looking for something out of the norm, give it a try.

Rating:  3/5

Other Books by this Author:  A Great and Terrible Beauty, Rebel Angels, The Sweet Far Thing, Beauty Queens

7 comments:

  1. Beauty Queens is completely hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to the world of blogging! The world has missed you. Also, I second what Christina said -you absolutely must read Beauty Queens. It was my number one book of 2011!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's good to be back; I feel way more productive :) Beauty Queens is the next one I'm going to read by her!

      Delete