Thursday, March 8, 2012

“Awww," Minho said. "That's almost as sweet as that time she slammed the end of a spear into your shuck face.”

The Death Cure – James Dashner (Maze Runner, Book 3)
 
325 pages
 
Genre:  YA; Dystopia; Survival
 
Summary:  In the final installment of the Maze Runner trilogy, The Death Cure picks up where The Scorch Trials left off.  Still in the hands of WICKED, Thomas and his friends have the opportunity to get their memories back.  Some of the friends decide that they want to remember, while others think it is best that the past stays forgotten.  With their next adventure is looming, can the cast of characters work together in order to survive?
 
Review:  I really liked the first book in this series, felt as if the second book was rather mediocre, but I was hoping that the final book, The Death Cure. would answer all of my questions and leave me feeling satisfied.  Unfortunately, it did neither of those things, and I didn’t really care for it at all.
 
One of the biggest problems for me was the plot.  Yes, there was a lot of action and whatnot, but I really didn’t care about the events therein.  I was bored most of the time, and really struggled to get through this book, but I pressed on, hoping that questions would be answered and a proper resolution would occur.  They didn’t.
 
I really didn’t like what Dashner did with Teresa, either.  Teresa was one of my favorite characters in the other books, and I hated that she was hardly in this one at all.  I didn’t even like the parts she was in because they just seemed so…out of character for her.  Brenda, the new female character in town, got on my nerves a lot, and I really didn’t care for her at all.
 
For me, The Death Cure was a disappointing ending to an otherwise okay series.  A lot of people have a different opinion then I do on this book, though, so if you were a big fan of the preceding books in the trilogy, you’ll probably like The Death Cure, too.
 
Rating:  2/5
 
Read-alikes:  The Hunger Games – Suzanne Collins, Incarceron – Catherine Fisher
 
Other Books in this Trilogy:  The Maze Runner (Book 1), The Scorch Trials (Book 2)

5 comments:

  1. Gooooo Heather!

    And, yes, this book really was awful!

    ReplyDelete