Saturday, March 3, 2012

“Didn't Gandalf say "With great power comes great responsibility"? (If it wasn't Gandalf, maybe it was Thomas Jefferson. Or Spider-Man's uncle.)”

The Strange Case of Origami Yoda – Tom Angleberger
 
152 pages
 
Genre:  Middle Grade; Humor
 
Summary:  Told from the perspective of several of his classmates, Dwight, a sixth grade social outcast, talks to his peers through Origami Yoda, a finger puppet he made for himself out of paper.
 
Review:  The Strange Case of Origami Yoda tends to be rather popular with the kids that use the library I work at, so I thought I’d check it out, too, just to see what they’re reading.  I’ve never seen any of the Star Wars movies (insert shocked, incredulous, horrified face here), but I am familiar with the character, Yoda, and I was hoping that would be enough back knowledge to understand this book.  Fortunately for me, it was.  The Strange Case of Origami Yoda was a fun, humorous tale that will keep young readers entertained from start to finish.
 
What I liked most about this book was the fact that it was told from many different perspectives.  Instead of just one person weighing in on whether or not Yoda’s prophecies were true, the reader gets a chance to see the story from several characters viewpoints as they tell their side of the story.  The characters were really well done, and I enjoyed how different they all were, as it served to highlight different social dynamics that one can experience in middle school.  My favorite character, however, had to be Harvey, just because he was so skeptical about everything everyone else was saying.
 
The Strange Case of Origami Yoda was a really fun, humorous read that will probably be most appealing to middle schoolers, especially reluctant readers.  If you’re looking for a quirky, fast-paced book, check this out!
 
Rating:  3/5
 
Read-alike:  Diary of a Wimpy Kid – Jeff Kinney

6 comments:

  1. Yay! Harvey sounds like an INTJ.

    ReplyDelete