Wednesday, March 7, 2012

“Everyone has something of beauty about them. But loving let's you look, and look, and look again. You notice the back of a hand, the turn of a head, the way of a walk. When you first love, you look blind and you see it all as the glorious, beloved whole, or a beautiful sum of beautiful parts. But when you see the one you love as pieces, as whys, you can love those parts, too, and it's a love at once more complicated and more complete.”

Crossed – Ally Condie (Matched, Book 2)
367 pages
Genre:  YA; Dystopia; Romance

SummaryCrossed picks up where Matched, the first book in this series, left off.  Cassia decides to leave the society and go on a search for Ky in the Outer Provinces.  Even though it will be dangerous to pursue this course of action, she’s willing to take the risk because a life without Ky doesn’t make sense.  Will she ever be able to find him, and more importantly, can she even survive?

Review:  I devoured Matched like it was a tasty burrito given to me after not eating for a long stretch of time, so I’m sure you can deduct that I was pretty excited about reading Crossed.  After all, the only thing better than one tasty burrito is two tasty burritos, right?  Unfortunately, Crossed didn’t satisfy my craving for some dystopia goodness, and I was left feeling pretty disappointed.

The main problem I had with the Crossed was rather simple:  it didn’t hold my attention at all.  Just when it seemed like something interesting was about to happen, bits of random, angsty poetry would be thrown in, and all hope of something exciting happening would be lost.  Where was all of the action?  The characters were on an epic quest to find Ky in a terrain that they had never seen before, so shouldn’t there have been more going on?

I also didn’t really care for the dual narrative.  I’m actually a really big fan of this form when done correctly, but it didn’t make a whole lot of sense in this book, and I would often forget which perspective I was reading from, which is definitely not good since the characters were in two very different places.  If Ky and Cassia had voices that were more distinct from one another, perhaps this strategy would have worked better.

The characters were okay, but none were exceptional.  I thought Cassia seemed rather one-dimensional in this book, and I often wanted to punch her in the face.  Ky, a character I liked a lot in Matched, didn’t do anything for me either, and I really didn’t like that some of his behavior was so selfish.

Will I read the third book?  I can say with almost absolute certainty that I will, indeed, read the third book.  Am I a glutton for punishment?  Perhaps, but I like to see it more as being an optimist...or being really stubborn.  It has to be better, right?  Plus, there’s still a ton of questions I have about the society that I hope are answered in the next installment.

Rating:  2.5/5
Read-AlikesWither – Lauren DeStefano, XVI – Julia Karr

Other Books in the Matched trilogyMatched (book 1), Reached (Book 3; to be released in 2013).

4 comments: