Tuesday, March 6, 2012

“I never said it would be easy. Giving up is easy.”

Inside Out – Maria V. Snyder
315 pages
Genre:  YA; Dystopia

Summary:  Living in a self-sustaining, dystopian society known as “Inside”, Trella, a teenage girl, has the unfortunate distinction of being a scrub:  someone on the very bottom of the social ladder.  Scrubs are expected to keep their noses to the grindstone, and must never question, nor seek to rise in, the societal hierarchy.  Things begin to change, however, when Trella unintentionally finds herself as the head of a rebellion of scrubs.  Can she survive when all eyes are fixed on her?

Review:  I’ve heard a lot of really great things about Maria V. Snyder, so reading Inside Out was a pretty easy decision for me to make.  While I think Snyder is a very skilled writer, I didn’t particularly care for this book.

I guess my main problem with Inside Out centered around the fact that I was pretty bored throughout.  The society Snyder imagined was definitely an interesting one, but I just didn’t really care about what was going on inside of it.  Maybe there wasn’t enough action for my taste?  Actually, I shouldn’t say there wasn’t enough action; rather, there wasn’t enough of the kind of action that I enjoy reading about.  Trella was constantly moving around in the pipes and whatnot, and I felt like the time taken to describe said events could have been condensed quite a bit.

Despite not being drawn into the plot, I really enjoyed seeing the story through the eyes of Trella.  Trella was such a strong, independent female character, and I loved that she didn’t always follow the rules.  After all, aren’t some rules meant to be broken?  I also thought it was great that she seemed to enjoy solitude, as that’s something I could really relate to.

Even though I didn’t love Inside Out, people who enjoy dystopias, especially those that examine social hierarchy, may love this book.  As I stated previously, I really like Snyder’s writing style, so while I’ll probably skip Outside In, I’m pretty sure I’ll check out Poison Study, as it seems a bit more in line with my own interests.

Rating:  2.5/5

3 comments: