Monday, March 5, 2012

“I say I drownin' in river. She don't look me like I'm crazy but say, If you just sit there the river gonna rise up drown you! Writing could be the boat carry you to the other side."

Push – Sapphire

177 pages

Genre: YA; Realistic Fiction; Abuse

Summary: Precious Jones, a sixteen-year-old high school student growing up in an inner city, is pregnant with her father’s child. In addition to being abused on a daily basis, Precious also faces problems at school, one of the biggest being that she is illiterate. Upon the advice of people at her school, Precious is transferred to a different school that may be able to help her, and it’s Precious’ hope that things will only get better from there. Can she find some solace in her sad life?

Review: Wow, Push was such a sad book, but it was extremely well done.

Throughout the entirety of Push, my heart absolutely broke for Precious, and I kept hoping that things would get better for her. It was so hard to see her endure all of that abuse and torment from her family and peers, and it was great to see her spirits improving when she switched from her repressive school into one that was more suited to her needs.

I really liked Precious. In some ways, she was the complete antithesis of what I’ve come to expect of heroines in YA novels (she’s overweight, illiterate, pregnant, etc), but it ultimately served to make her more real. The way in which the book was written really allowed the reader to get inside Precious’ head and examine her thoughts, and even though I tend to not enjoy books that are written in slang, I don’t think this book could have been written as effectively any other way. It truly highlighted how people in the United States can so easily slip through the cracks, and nobody really even notices; so, so sad.

Push is definitely not for everyone because the subject matter is so heavy, but if you need a good cry, or if you want to be disgusted and outraged by how some people in American society are treated, check it out!

Rating: 4/5

Read-Alikes: for colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbow is enuf – Ntozake Shange, The Bluest Eye – Toni Morrison

8 comments:

  1. Look at you reviewing things!

    I would hate this. I can tell by that quote. Ooh, that language makes me twitch. Why do I hate things written in dialect? Why? I'm struggling through one right now. It's much lighter mostly than this one and it still drives me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I only have about 13 to go until I'm up to date. Yeah!

      You would definitely hate this book! haha. I usually don't like dialect all that much either, and it took me awhile to adjust to this one, but to me, the way it was written made a ton of sense when taken into context.

      Delete
  2. Oh yeah, dialect generally does make sense in context...because that's how people speak. I think the problem may be that I can't help reading it all aloud to myself in my head, and that, generally, dialect equals awful grammar. I just sit their twitching in irritation that's almost pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, I read everything aloud in my head, too! You would be twitching so hard from this book.

      Delete