Monday, March 5, 2012

“So often we only do what we think is expected of us, when we are capable of so much more.”

Unearthly – Cynthia Hand (Unearthly series, Book 1)

435 pages

Genre:  YA; Paranormal; Angels; Fantasy

 

Summary:  Clara Gardner may seem like an ordinary teenager, but as we all know, appearances can be deceiving.  Recently, Clara discovered that she’s part-angel, and because of this, she has been given a purpose to fulfill on earth.  What that purpose is, though, has yet to be determined.  Will she ever figure out what she was put here to do?

 

Review:  I’ve already stated that I am a sucker for cover art, so the pretty dress, fancy font, and purple background of this book caught my attention immediately.  This strategy has proved to be disappointing in the past, yet I still pursue it, hoping that maybe this time will be better.  After I read the blurb for Unearthly, I will readily admit that I was a bit skeptical because I know from past experience that books about angels can be a bit cheesy and too preachy for my taste.  Much to my delight, however, I thoroughly enjoyed Unearthly, should not have decided I wouldn’t like it so quickly, and I’m really looking forward to reading the rest of this series.

 

Unearthly’s plot was compelling and interesting, and I was hooked from start to finish.  I thought the way in which everything was explained regarding Clara’s circumstances was done in a really believable way.  I mentioned above that I don’t like when books get too preachy, and I was happy to see that that wasn’t the case in Unearthly.  Yes, religion was touched upon because it kind of has to be when one is discussing angels, but it wasn’t shoved down one’s throat, so to speak.  I really appreciated that.

 

The characters were quite authentic, and I especially enjoyed the narrator, Clara.  Even though she had angel blood, Clara was still a believable teenage girl who faced real, teenage problems, ranging from crushes, to school, to friends, but she was also strong as she sought to find her purpose.  I also really liked that Christian, the object of Clara’s affection, was portrayed in an idolized way that so many teenagers tend to do with the people they like, but even though he seemed perfect, Clara knew he might not be quite right for her.

 

If you’re looking for an absorbing read, filled with action, intrigue, and angels, look no further than Unearthly.

 

Rating:  3.5/5

 

Read-alikeMaximum Ride series – James Patterson

 

Other Books in the Unearthly SeriesHollowed (Book 2); Book 3 is set to be released in 2013.

4 comments: