Wednesday, March 14, 2012

“That's what being crazy was, wasn't it? You thought you were fine. Everyone else knew better.”

The Summoning – Kelley Armstrong (Darkest Powers Trilogy, Book 1)

390 pages

Genre: YA; Paranormal; Urban Fantasy

Summary: Chloe, a fifteen-year-old girl, seems like your typical high school student. As we all know, however, appearances can be deceiving. Even though she just wants to make it through high school in one piece, Chloe develops an interesting skill: she can see and communicate with ghosts. Those around her think she’s crazy, send her to a psychiatric treatment center to get counseling, and she’s quickly labeled as a schizophrenic. Chloe resigns herself to the fact that she has schizophrenia and just wants to get better…but what if she really can see ghosts? Will she figure out what’s really going on?

Review: If you’ve been keeping up with my recent reviews, you’ve probably noticed that I’ve been reading quite a bit of mediocre YA that I haven’t been all that enthused about. It’s been quite frustrating, as I’m sure you can imagine, so it was with a mixture of hope and worry that I picked up The Summoning. It sounded good, but obviously I’ve been wrong before because I thought the other books would be ones  I’d enjoy, too. This one has to be good, right? Universe, throw me a bone! Much to my delight, I thoroughly enjoyed The Summoning, and I was absorbed in the tale from start to finish.

The best thing about this book for me was the plot. I thought that the core concept of the book, Chloe’s ability to see and converse with ghosts, was a really interesting one, and Armstrong did not disappoint in her delivery. There were tons of twists and turns that kept me interested throughout, and I had a very hard time putting the book down so I could take care of the pesky responsibilities that go hand in hand with adulthood. The writing itself was really fluid, and I don’t remember reading many awkward passages at all, which is always a plus. I thought sending Chloe to get psychiatric help was really believable, too, as I’m sure this is exactly what would happen if someone claimed to see ghosts, even if they were telling the truth.

The characters were also pretty well-done, and I especially liked Derek. I thought Derek was really interesting, and I appreciated that he was described in such a way that didn’t glamorize him at all. It was also fun to view the novel through Chloe’s eyes, especially as she tried to figure out whether or not she was going crazy.

If you’re looking for a fun, fast paced read that deals with psychology and ghosts, check out The Summoning. I’m looking forward to reading the next two books in this trilogy!

Rating: 4/5

Other Books in the Darkest Powers Trilogy: The Awakening (Book 2), The Reckoning (Book 3)

4 comments: