Friday, March 9, 2012

“We cling to our fairy tales until the price for believing in them becomes too high.”

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children – Ransom Riggs

352 pages

Genre: YA; Fantasy

Summary: As the title suggests, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children examines the lives of children possessing certain oddities who live together on a small, secluded island. Wanting to know more about a family member after a tragedy occurs, Jacob, a sixteen-year-old teenage boy, decides to venture to said island so he can investigate Miss Peregrine’s Home. When he arrives, he is greeted by crumbling ruins, and as he explores further, the information he uncovers may prove to be way more than he bargained for.

Review: As soon as I saw the creepy girl levitating on the cover of this book, I knew I had to read this. What can I say; I’m a sucker for creepy books. Ultimately, I really enjoyed accompanying Jacob on his journey, and I found Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children to be a rather absorbing read.

The thing I liked most about this book was probably the creepy, old photographs. Many of them had a stern, sinister quality about them, and I was sure the evil looking eyes of the people depicted would haunt my dreams. Fortunately for me, they didn’t, but I can still remember some of the images very vividly in my waking life.

The concept behind this book was also really interesting. I sometimes look to pictures for story ideas, too, and the fact that he was able to combine both into the text was rather fun. Admittedly, some pictures worked better than others in regard to the descriptions provided, but nonetheless, it was still fun to see the author’s interpretation of what he was seeing.

I rather liked Jacob as the narrator, and it was clear how devoted he was to his grandfather. The whole trip kind of came about because he felt as if he owed it to his grandfather to find out more information and separate fact from fiction, and I really thought that was great.

There was a bit (okay, a lot) of an ick factor as it related to Emma, one of the female characters, but I won’t divulge anything about that because it is, indeed, a spoiler. Still, ick.

While Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children did have flaws, it was still a really worthwhile read. If you enjoy books about superhuman peculiarities and time travel, give this book a try.

Rating: 3.5/5

7 comments:

  1. do you know what page the quote at the top comes from

    ReplyDelete