Thursday, June 14, 2012

“I laugh maniacally, then take a deep breath and touch my chest- expecting a heart to be thumping quickly, impatiently, but there's nothing there, not even a beat.”


American Psycho – Bret Easton Ellis
399 pages
Genre:  Horror; Contemporary; Classic

Summary:  On the outside, Patrick Bateman, a young, successful businessman, seems to be a well-adjusted person.  As we all know, however, appearances can be deceiving, and in Bateman's case that theory is definitely true, as he is actually a cold, calculating killer.  Will the atrocities he commits ever be stopped?

Review:  My immediate thought after finishing this book:  “What the actual eff did I just read?!  Sweet mother of humanity, I need a drink.”

If you’ve ever wondered what it’s like to be in the mind of a killer, let me introduce you to American Psycho’s narrator, Patrick Bateman.  When he’s not thinking about his image, what everyone else is wearing, how much money he has, or where he’s going for dinner and drinks, he’s letting the reader see the horrible atrocities that he commits exactly as he sees them.  The scenes within this book were graphic and disturbing, and I’m sure I’ll remember many of them for years to come, not because I want to, but because they were just that messed up.

While I understood very well why American Psycho focused so much on image and I thought it was a very effective strategy, it just wasn’t really my cup of tea.  Image was everything to Bateman, but for the reader, well, it just kind of drove me crazy, probably because I really don’t care about what the characters were wearing or eating or listening to.   It really did highlight just how neurotic Bateman was, though, hence the effectiveness.

American Psycho wasn’t for me, but if you enjoy shocking stories with detailed, gory, grisly murders, you might enjoy this book.

Rating:  2/5

7 comments:

  1. Oh, Heather, I love you. That's a very appropriate thing to think. VERY APT.

    Don't forget that Patrick also liked to think about music ad nauseum!

    This one was just so difficult, because it does what it's doing well, but that doesn't make it a better read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, and I love you!

      Oh yes, how could I forget the music? Probably because I skipped over those chapters :/ haha

      Delete