Monday, June 11, 2012

“It's the intent, not the word, that makes something harsh.”


Cryer’s Cross – Lisa McMann
233 pages
Genre:  YA; Mystery

Summary:  Something strange is happening in the normally quiet, little town of Cryer’s Cross, Montana:  a student has vanished without a trace.  The search is on, and things only get weirder when another student goes missing.  The town is obviously shaken up by these tragic events, especially Kendall, a sixteen-year-old student who lives there.  Will they catch the perpetrator of the crimes?  Will Kendall be the next victim?

Review:  My commute from work to home tends to take forever, so I decided that audiobooks would be a better idea than flipping through radio stations for 40 or so minutes.  Even though it’s received mixed reviews, I really enjoyed McMann’s Wake trilogy, so I thought Cryer’s Cross would be a good audiobook for me try.  Unfortunately, I didn’t care for this book at all.

The premise, students going missing in a small town and the impact it had on said town, was a rather intriguing one, but along the way, it failed in execution.  There wasn’t a ton of action in the middle of the book, and it left me feeling rather bored until things began to pick up at the end.  A lot of the dialogue seemed rather forced and cheesy, and I laughed at things that weren’t meant to be funny numerous times.  Perhaps I had this experience because I listened to the audiobook instead of reading the actual book, but I’m not quite sure.

As for the characters, the standout for me was definitely Jacien.  He was complex, interesting, and brooding, and I liked that he was out of the norm in the small town.  Kendall was okay as a narrator, but she made a lot of really stupid decisions, especially near the story’s conclusion, and I didn’t like her all that much.

Things started picking up a bit at the end, and I liked discovering how the disappearances occurred.  The method that made the voices occur, however, was really cheesy, and I may or may not have laughed out loud when that was revealed.

Cryer’s Cross definitely wasn’t for me, but reluctant readers may enjoy this one.

Rating:  1/5

Other Books by Lisa McMann:  Wake, Fade, Gone

7 comments:

  1. Bleh, bleh, bleh. This book!

    Lisa McMann just had a new cover reveal and it's pretty. Damn her. I will not read it. I won't, I won't, I won't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, for sure! I don't think I've ever rolled my eyes and laughed so much at something that wasn't supposed to be funny, as I did with this book.

      Delete