Saturday, June 9, 2012

“What do you think my chances might be of finding a soul mate in the group of you? I'll be lucky if I can just find someone who'll be able to stand me for the rest of our lives. What if I've already sent her home because I was relying on some sort of spark I didn't feel? What if she's waiting to leave me at the first sign of adversity? What if I don't find anyone at all? What do I do then, America?”


The Selection – Kiera Cass
327 pages
Genre:  YA; Fantasy; Chick Lit

Summary:  In the aftermath of a world torn apart by war, a ruling body has established itself as the leader of the people.  Prince Maxon, the son of the current monarchs and heir to the throne, has arrived at a respectable marital age, and because of this, a selection will take place to determine who his wife will be.  Any eligible girl of marital age in the realm is entered into the event if she so chooses, and from that pool, thirty-five girls are chosen.  America, our narrator, is one such girl, and quite frankly, she’s not very happy about being chosen at all.  When she meets Prince Maxon, will she change her mind about the whole thing, or will she continue to sulk and hate her new-found fame?

Review:  One magical day, I was at my friend, Christina’s, house looking through her bookshelves, because that is what all of the cool people do when they hang out with their friends.  The Selection caught my eye right away because of the fancy dress on the cover, and being the thoughtful, benevolent soul that she is, my friend let me borrow it (and I really need to return it.  My b!). 

I went into this with an open mind because it’s definitely out of the realm of literature I normally read (I tend to prefer dark, heavy subject matter), but I thought this one would be a good bit of fun.  Fortunately, The Selection was a really fun read, and I’m looking forward to reading more in, what I’m assuming will be, this series.

If you’re looking for an intellectual read, put The Selection back on the shelf and walk away.  If, however, you’d like a fluffy piece of joy that you’ll eat up like delicious cotton candy, turn around, pick the book back up, and skip off into the sunset because you’ve found what you’re looking for.  This book isn’t serious literature, nor does it pretend to be, but it’s seriously fun.  There is a special place in my heart for cheesy reality shows, and when I read that this book was a lot like The Bachelor, I was so excited to read it.  What could be more fun than watching aspiring princesses try to claim the love of a prince? 

I was expecting drama amongst the contestants in this book, and it definitely delivered.  I loved reading about all of the backstabbing, plotting, and scheming, and I also loved watching the relationship progress between Maxon and America.  The role America played was an interesting one, indeed, and it added an attention-grabbing dynamic to the book.

While America was definitely not my favorite heroine of all time, it was interesting to see the book from her point of view.  She made it perfectly clear to the reader that she didn’t really want to be in the contest, so watching her go through it without a ton of princess fantasies was pretty fun.  Some of the things she did got on my nerves a bit, but it didn’t really detract from my overall enjoyment of the story.

If you like chick lit, reality tv, or if you’re looking for something that’s just entertaining and doesn’t require a ton of thought, give The Selection a try.

Rating:  3/5

7 comments:

  1. Haha, WHAT IS THIS I SEE? HEATHER BLOGGING!

    Christmas done come early!

    Anywho, I see that you used the same quote I did, oh ye of discerning taste. I agree with everything you said. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a Christmas miracle! haha.

      I think that has to be the best quote in the book :)

      Delete
    2. Most def! It definitely is not the most quote-worthy book.

      Delete