Wednesday, February 27, 2013

“We have history, you and I. You just don’t know it yet.”


The Girl Who Chased the Moon - Sarah Addison Allen

269 pages

Genre: Contemporary, Magical Realism, Mystery

Summary: Emily’s mother died in a tragic accident, and she’s sent back to her mother’s hometown in South Carolina to live with her grandfather. There’s one big problem: Emily’s mother never told her anything about the town in which she grew up, or the people that she knew there. This makes Emily’s life incredibly difficult, as many people treat her with derision on account of something her mother did in the past. Will Emily ever get the answers she seeks, and will she ever find a friend who will accept her for the person she is?

Review: Sarah Addison Allen is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. Her books are full of whimsy and magic, and her words flow effortlessly. The Girl Who Chased the Moon was exactly what I have come to expect from this author, and I was hooked from start to finish.

The setting itself was wholly believable, and it was easy for me to picture the events unfolding as the characters went about their daily lives. I am very familiar with small town life, and Allen does an incredible job of emulating it in this book. Emphasis on the strange goings-on within Mullaby, along with the fact that everyone knew what was going on in everybody’s lives, made this book shine with plausibility.

At the heart of the novel is the secret involving the Coffey family, and ultimately, the reason behind the scorn Emily endures from the Mullaby community. This storyline in and of itself was incredibly compelling, and I flipped through the pages eagerly to find out what would happen next. I was expecting something completely different when the big reveal finally occurred, but it was definitely an interesting twist.

One of my favorite characters was Julia. I really liked how she took Emily under her wing, especially since she was also an outcast growing up. This relationship was even more compelling when the relationship between Julia and Emily’s mother was exposed.

Emily herself was also a genuine character, and I liked that much of the story was examined from her perspective. Her ability to question things and not take no for an answer was really brave, and it seemed like that would be exactly what someone did in her situation.

Like Allen’s other books, magical realism is woven into the plot rather seamlessly. It starts at the very beginning and doesn’t let up until the very end, and the events that transpire along the way are absolutely capricious.

If you enjoy books with strong characters and magical realism, definitely read The Girl Who Chased the Moon.
Rating: 4/5

Other books by Sarah Addison Allen: Garden Spells, The Peach Keeper, The Sugar Queen

6 comments:

  1. What is this magic? A review? From Heather? Am I lost?

    lol

    Welcome back!

    I need to read this one still. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahaha, thanks for supporting my wizardry! I have a feeling I'll be posting much more regularly now, as I've finally (finally!) found a time-blog balance.

      I think Garden Spells is still my favorite, but this one is super fun and magical, too :)

      Delete