Monday, March 4, 2013

“Don't forget - no one else sees the world the way you do, so no one else can tell the stories that you have to tell.”

The Blue Girl - Charles de Lint
385 pages
Genre: YA, Urban Fantasy

Summary: Imogene, a seventeen-year-old who just transferred to a new school in a town called Newford, isn’t your average teen. This girl is extremely rebellious, and she only plays by the rules when they suit her interests. After arriving in Newford, she befriends a girl named Maxine, and they are complete opposites in almost every way, aside from the fact that both are social outcasts. Maxine is a straight-laced girl that completely contradicts Imogene’s unruly personality, yet somehow, their friendship works. Things start getting really weird when Imogene can no longer separate dreams from reality, as she believes a malicious band of fairies may be after her. Can she find the truth in the confusion?

Review: I’ll be honest: fairy books aren’t really my thing. I can’t put my finger on what it is about them that I don’t really like, but typically, I’m less than impressed; however, I have heard a ton of positive buzz about Charles de Lint, so I decided to put my pre-conceived notions aside and give The Blue Girl a try. After reading this, perhaps I was wrong about my dislike for fairies, as I absolutely loved this book and was hooked from start to finish.

Imogene, the main character, was so strong, and I loved that she was able to take care of herself. She was the hero of her story, and while she had a few close friends that helped her along the way, she was never a damsel in distress. Her flagrant disregard of the rules and conventionality made her extremely interesting, and her wit really propelled the book forward. Some of her brazen comments had me absolutely laughing out loud. Maxine was also a great character, and I really liked how she grew over the course of the book, especially once her overbearing, but well-intentioned, mother wasn’t looking over her shoulder.

Even though the plot had many fantastical elements, it was still very believable. I really liked that Imogene couldn’t always separate fiction from reality as she tried to make sense of her dreams, and when the ball really got rolling towards the end, it was hard for me to pull myself away from the book in order to be a functioning member of society. I actually lived in the world de Lint created here for a few days after I finished, turning the plot over and over in my head, which doesn’t always happen for me.

Ultimately, this was an incredibly interesting, fast paced book packed with awesome characters. If you like fantasy, definitely check it out!

Rating: 4/5

Read-alikes: Wicked Lovely - Marissa Marr, I Was a Teenage Fairy - Francesca Lia Block

7 comments:

  1. You are seriously rocking the 4 star reads. I loved the one De Lint book I read, so I really need to read some more. Thankfully, I have one in my review pile, though it's a middle grade about cats, but whatever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I'm trying to read only books I own at the moment because that my favorite booksale that takes up a whole mall is coming up, so I'm making my way through my pile. Apparently, I am very good at picking books for myself if I have to pay money!

      Also, I didn't realize that this was a series, but I don't think it really matters because I wasn't lost at all. Maybe it's like the Fear Street books where they're all in the same world, but you don't really have to read them sequentially? Anyway, READ MORE! haha

      Delete
    2. because my favorite booksale*

      Typing fail.

      Delete