Sunday, March 3, 2013

“You can't just plan a moment when things get back on track, just as you can't plan the moment you lose your way in the first place.”


Someone Like You – Sarah Dessen
281 pages
Genre: YA, Contemporary, Realistic Fiction, Romance

Summary: Halley and Scarlett are best friends. While Halley is away at summer camp, an unthinkable tragedy occurs: Scarlett’s boyfriend is killed in a motorcycle accident, and shortly thereafter, Scarlett discovers she is pregnant. Can Halley help her through this difficult time?

Review: Someone Like You was my first experience with Sarah Dessen. I’m really not sure what took me so long to read one of her books, as she’s consistently ranked as one of the most popular YA authors around. After finishing this book, I completely understand the appeal she holds for readers, and I’m looking forward to reading more of her body of work.

The themes that stood out the most in this book were friendship and grief. Scarlett went through something that nobody should ever have to experience, and in the midst of grieving her loss, she also received news that she was pregnant. Halley was a wonderful friend to her throughout and their relationship never faltered.  When big things occur in one’s life, it’s so important to have a best friend to lean on, and Scarlett definitely found one in Halley.

I really enjoyed that Scarlett and Halley were sort of like foil characters for one another.  Scarlett had always been the one in the spotlight that everyone liked, while Halley stuck in the background. Despite their differences, their relationship just worked. It almost seemed that nothing could really shake Scarlett until these terrible things happened to her, and it gave Halley a chance to shine. Both were incredibly supportive of one another, and it was nice to see that portrayed in a female friendship, as many books feature characters where there is a great deal of backstabbing and gossip.

The storyline was really believable and flowed seamlessly from one event to the next.  I could also see teens being able to relate to the emotions that the characters experienced throughout the novel. The characters were often confused, conflicted, and doing their best to deal with the circumstances laid before them, which mirrors what teens feel pretty accurately as they try to figure out their places in the world.

If you’re looking for a great read with compelling characters and authenticity, give Someone Like You a try.

Rating: 3/5

Other Books by Sarah Dessen: Just Listen, The Truth About Forever, This Lullaby, Along for the Ride, Keeping the Moon


6 comments:

  1. Blergh. I didn't realize this was about teen pregnancy. *is less excited* Much as I love the dark ones, I still avoid that topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read this last week, I think, and if I am remembering correctly, it was more of a subplot.

      Sidenote: How sad is it that I can't really remember something I read last week? haha! So glad I found the "schedule" thing for blogging.

      Delete